Classified Leadership Academy
2023 Registration is Now Open!
Class Schedule for 2023
(Friday 09:00 AM – 03:00 PM PST, Saturday 08:00 AM – 03:00 PM PST)
- June 16th & 17th
- September 15th & 16th
- October 20th & 21st
- KICKOFF of New CLA (and make up for weekend #1) – November 17th & 18th
- December – TBD
Two Self-Paced Full-Day Workshops!
The Classified Leadership Academy (CLA) is a thorough training and professional development program designed to improve the leadership abilities of classified personnel. CLA is intended for present and aspiring classified managers and directors who wish to develop their leadership capacities. Potential benefits for the participants include expanding their general skillset, learning about legal requirements of management positions, networking opportunities, enhancing performance at work, and leadership development.
This course offers direct teaching from subject-matter specialists, group and individual exercises, practical activities, and a few self-paced workshops.
Classified Leader Certificate Program
Now more than ever, there is a great need in operational departments to lead in challenging times. Well-trained leaders are essential to support students and staff throughout a school district, whether in a role that supervises in a central office capacity or at another site. Strengthen your communication and leadership skills with research-based techniques, tools, and structuring devices to become a more effective leader and to build strong teams.
Many key leadership topics will be covered in the program, including:
- What It Means to be a Leader
- Establishing a Positive Work Culture
- Being a First Time Leader and Moving from Co-Worker to Supervisor
- How To Establish a Vision for your Department or Organization
- Leading Change
- Setting and Managing Projects and Priorities
- Celebrating and Honoring Employees
- The Leader as Communicator
- Using Emotional Intelligence to Effectively Lead
- Deciphering Contracts and Understanding Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Strengthening Organizational Skills
- Building Teams, Building People
- The Basics of Understanding and Managing Budgets
- High Impact Communication
- Effective Meetings and Presentations
- Establishing Collaborative Teams
- Leading as a Multiplier
This program emphasizes specific and pragmatic skills that classified leaders need to know to be able to thrive as a school business leader. The content of this academy is presented in an online lecture and discussion format, relying upon class interactions, small group breakouts, and out-of-class assignments/practical applications that are built on a leadership inventory with skills you want to enhance to be a stronger leader. Unlike other courses, there will be no quizzes for the Classified Leadership Academy but rather applications of the lessons learned in modules with job applications that can also be used in the design of a portfolio for future leadership roles.
The TSS Classified Leader Certificate Program has been created as a comprehensive program designed to introduce new or strengthen current leadership skills of aspiring or current directors in roles such as payroll, accounting, audit roles, risk management, technology, food and nutrition, purchasing, warehouse, maintenance, operations, facilities, worker’s compensation, benefits, and human resources roles. This program is helpful for those who have not been through leadership credential or Master’s Degree programs, focusing on those leaders and prospective leaders who have come up through school district roles without the direct coursework in leadership.
The course’s group atmosphere will encourage team building, visioning, and general leadership skills to effectively manage, while providing an opportunity for participants to expand their skill sets in a challenging yet encouraging environment. Specialized assignments and class projects are done individually designed to help establish voice, presence, and authentic leadership skills for current or future roles. Participants who successfully complete the course will be issued an TSS Classified Leader Certificate.
- Attendance and Participation – Participants are expected to attend and contribute in all sessions and must attend all classes in order to receive the TSS Classified Leader Certificate. If an emergency arises, one session may be made-up by writing and an academic paper on the missed classes’ subject matter with pre-approval by the program’s director.
- Presentation – Participants are required to present one 10-minute PowerPoint/Google presentation on a topic related to leadership in his/her school district.
- Readings – Various readings will be assigned during the academy and discussion groups between classes will help deepen the learning. Students will analyze readings and participate in group discussions or writing assignments to apply concepts to real world school district situations.
- Assessments – Activities will be used to deepen and apply the learning. These activities, called homework assignments, will all need to be completed and submitted before earning the Classified Leader Certificate.